DMSDM - Dynamic Message Sign Device Manager
The Dynamic Message Sign Device Manager (DMSDM) for the Next Generation COMPASS Software (NGCS) Project is one of the key contracts Array was awarded by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation in support of the NGCS program.
The DMSDM serves as the "master controller" for dispatching messages to the Dynamic Message Signs (DMS) in the field.
During the 20 years that the COMPASS system has been operational, a number of different models of DMS have been installed along the highway. While early DMS devices used a vendor-specific messaging protocol, the Ministry requires new installations to conform to the National Transportation Communications for ITS Protocol (NTCIP) standard. The DMSDM supports a number of sign communication protocols including both vendor-specific and NTCIP-compliant messaging. The software provides a uniform interface for managing DMS field devices, while abstracting away the specific details of each type of sign. The DMSDM is designed in a modular fashion to allow the easy addition of new modules for handling different types of sign.
Any process within the NGCS system that wishes to command a message to a DMS field device sends a request to the DMSDM. This approach means that the software modules that handle the message composition and control logic need not consider the intricacies of the sign communication protocols for various types of sign.Key features:
- NTCIP compliant DMS messaging protocol
- Support for proprietary protocols including LedStar, MTO401
- Control of message display
- Status and health monitoring
- Text and graphic matrix support
- Message and graphic element library
- Administrative web-based user interface is included
- Watchdog process continually monitors the DMSDM and restarts the application if an error or timeout is detected
- Implemented in Java Enterprise Edition
- Oracle 10g
- Java Message Service (JMS)
- Java Naming and Directory Service (JNDI)
- Java DataBase Connectivity (JDBC)
- Servlets / Java Server Page (JSP)